Thursday 24 May 2012

Day 138, 24 May: Ten Days' Notice/ The Photo Shoot


Norfolk Terrace, UEA, Norwich, Day 138. Ten Days’ Notice/ The Photo Shoot

It has been confirmed. I leave in ten days, not sixteen. Sunday, June 3rd at 11am I will be leaving London’s Heathrow Airport for Sacramento, California in the US.
      I’m leaving earlier than I initially intended for a few reasons. One, I’ve been done with exams and school for 16 days and my Edinburgh trip was designated to be my last. So the two big reasons for studying abroad, studying and traveling, have come to an end. Of course, there really is more to studying abroad than that—there are the people you meet. But many are leaving. International friends of mine are leaving, one by one (i.e. Days 134 and 135), and my flat will be coming to its last breath as a full flat in the next week. I have other friends as well, but even they are beginning to head home for the summer too. And by leaving at the same time as the flat’s Continental Drift (ha, but really: Wilson to China, me to US, Jen to Wales, Dan to another part of England [Devon], etc.), I feel like I can leave on a strong note before more people break off and go their ways (around the world).
      There are also other reasons, of course: Katya. Family. Being home for a month instead of three weeks (that is, before summer school July 2nd in Berkeley). I couldn’t help but think about all this when my dad told me yesterday on the phone that he and Mom had discovered that the ticket was refundable. As much as I have grown to really love this place, UEA, the people, Norwich, England, I know that even good things come to an end and that the friendships I have made won’t be that much changed if I leave a week early. They are made already.
      Now the clock is on. Time to make the most of ten days.

Photo Shoot Team
Like yesterday’s celebratory fun, today had a good beat to it. I did abs, ran, showered, shaved, and did errands. Check. I was ready for my photo shoot. Marika was my photographer. The setting consisted of various areas around campus: in the square, outside the library, on the lake, next to the terraces (yup, Norfolk Terrace), and in the wild with trees and baby bunnies in and out their burrowed holes. Sporting my navy blue UEA T-shirt, which I am still wearing as I type this, I smiled and seemed to take better photos with my hands up or animated than down and stiff at my side. I really appreciated Marika’s willingness to help me out. As much as I probably would do this sort of thing without cause, I actually needed photos of me on campus for my scholarship testimonial. At the end, Marika and I grabbed smoothies from the fruit bar in the Hive, above the Union Pub/adjacent to the LCR, and then headed back to Norfolk Terrace. She showed me her window view from her room, and then I returned to my block.
      Tonight I got to meet Marie’s date, from a few nights ago, Steve. Now I need to explain a little background. There is a Stephen in the flat and she dated this Stephen weeks and weeks back, but they had a falling out. This Steve is…I’m afraid I did not learn what he studies, but he is a football goalie and gets along great with people, from what I can tell (I mean, hey, I got along great with him). He made a good first impression.
      I skyped both Katya and my dad today—it felt like Sunday Skype and I was loving it.
      Only bad thing is the late hour upon which I type this in Microsoft Word. Early bedtimes are really my greatest weakness. Good night.
There were moments like this where I just had to take a picture.
                                      
                              And this too.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment