Thursday 26 April 2012

Day 110, 26 April: Deadline


Norfolk Terrace, UEA, Norwich, Day 110. Deadline

I woke up, went for my first run of the week, showered, and walked late to class. Generally, I run, but I just knew that I’d be out of breath by the time I entered the seminar. I was more relaxed—I stress this point, because I don’t walk when I’m late, so…big steps in being less uptight about school. (I actually left the Nineteenth Century revision seminar early as well—very few stayed the whole time, and I stayed for the texts I plan to write on in the exam.)
      The rest of the day was a battle of time until midnight. I worked thoroughly, not quickly, so I really did spend all afternoon half-rewriting, half-redrafting, then editing, and re-editing my short story. By dusk, I ended up in the fourth draft with a more filled-in story than I had previously. The premise is simple: a boy finds a strange fountain pen that doesn’t work like a normal pen. It gives him the strength to talk to a girl through a strange blood ritual. Yes, I lied. The premise is not simple; ‘slightly odd’ would be a better way of putting it. But it’s my first short story that has a style of writing that isn’t boring, redundant, or flat-out dull. I’ve been reading a lot of Stephen King recently, so that’s where my influence lies…
      The worst part was the word count. 2,000 words. It felt like I was squashing a whole dinner plate of food into a tiny container and hoping that it would still be edible, still make sense. I kept having 200-400 words over in my final stages of writing, so I had to annihilate details here and there that I had rather liked. 2,086 was close enough. Meanwhile, I was thinking, in envy, how King’s novellas have character and plot developments that have all the room in the world to expand in.
      The best part of today was the final hour. 11pm. I hadn’t actually started part two of the assignment until 9, but I managed to get through most of the 500-word self-commentary and by 11:40, I was done with everything. I stamped on the page numbers, double-spaced the story, and emailed it to myself.
      11:43. I ran a flat-out sprint to the library, running along the elevated, cement walkway above the terraces. I swiped in, ran to a free computer, downloaded the email attachments, and printed.
      11:46. First printer I tried had no paper. 11:47. Second printer I tried had no ink. 11:48. Finally, I just looked at all the printers until I saw a ‘Ready’ sign. I got it printed on the third try.
      11:49. I walked a few feet from the printers to two guys sitting in an opened-door study room. ‘Can I use that pen?’ I wrote down my tutor’s name. ‘And do you have a stapler?’ One guy checked his bag. He did. I thanked them and ran.
      11:52. I saw the box. The official in charge of collecting all the paperwork submitted was hovering above it. I went through the library gate and dropped it in.
      My adrenaline was soaring like a rocket flying through the atmosphere. I went back to Norfolk Terrace, told Alvin my story, remembered I had to return a book, ran back to the library, ran back to the Terrace, told Dan and Gum Gum the story, and then settled down and watched How I Met Your MotherWhile in the kitchen, I heard more of how Gum Gum, or Wilson, became fluent in English: his schooling in Hong Kong included 10 years of studying it (Hong Kong was once an English colony). He wants to be an English teacher back in Hong Kong, and I have to give it to him, doing his entire university education in English as a second language is admirable.
      Despite the stress in the final minutes to turn in a paper before the deadline, there is a certain degree of excitement, a survival instinct that surfaces and changes the stress into a challenge. (I do not advocate this strategy, but if it happens, it happens.) The body goes into a highly concentrated mode of activity, the mind forgets all other details and carries a single-minded focus to accelerate the task at hand. At least that’s what I experience. The academic world briefly transforms into a running race—and I have no other choice but to sprint to the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment