Saturday 28 January 2012

Day 21, 28 Jan: A Respite

Norfolk Terrace, Day 21. 22:41. A Respite

            I spent the day indoors, playing two riffs on guitar over and over again, familiarizing myself with chords too, and resting my hands after the pressure on the strings started to sting. Singing also consumed a large part of the day, as I recently discovered the wonders of instrumental tracks to favorite songs of mine on youtube.
            To fend off bouts of sleepiness, I meditated a bit. To fend off hunger, I cooked spaghetti bolognese with mince meat for Vinny and I for “tea” (apparently synonymous for “dinner” in some regional English vocabularies). To fend off laziness, I accompanied Dan to the library to break a few books’ spines and get started on this coming week’s readings (Jane Austen’s Emma, a few short articles on writing poetry, and William Blake’s Songs of Innocence and of Experience [his poems came on engraved plates since Blake was an illustrator as well as a poet, so the book contains both images of the original engravings and plain-type versions of the poems]).
            I plan to call it a night early, but before I leave, here’s a philosophical matter: To live for the moment but forget yesterday is almost as bad as planning today as if it were tomorrow. Every day matters to the spectrum of life just as every grain of sand accumulatively makes up a beach. Yet take this with a grain of salt, since too much conscious attention to the breath will disrupt its natural pattern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment