Sunday 3 June 2012

Day 148, 3 June: The End

Sacramento, California, US, Day 148. The End
Leaving London
Me and Charlie
As the last gesture of friendship, Charlie woke up early and joined me in the car as his dad drove me to the nearest Piccadilly Tube station. I was so grateful for Charlie and his dad, and his mom yesterday, and all that they had done for me while I was in London for the last time on this 5-month journey. I said thanks and waved good-bye, feeling the weight of my bags in my shoulders and arms but feeling the greater weight of sorrow that I was leaving. I was leaving all this that I had lived in since January: the thrill of adventure abroad, the fun and the friendships along the way, and the time of my life in many ways.

      I stepped down into the station and flashed my Oyster card. The green light appeared. I went through. Twenty plus stops and a bunch of pages of Lord of the Rings’ Two Towers later, I was at Terminal 3, Heathrow Airport. Bag check-in always comes with the ominous-and-made-more-ominous-by-the-friendly-façade of the official asking me why I was here in England, how long, etc. It made me shudder inwardly, but I was finally cleared, my two bags placed in check-in, and my next stop at security. This was easier to go through, after the laptop was out of the case, the belt off, the boots off, and all the rest, but I made it. After an hour, the gate number flashed on the departures screen and I was off and within the hour on board the American Airlines flight to Los Angeles, California.
      On the plane, the food was just enough. I had to embrace the disgusting butter to eat all the calories I could of the limited food I was given and not feel hungry. Both guys next to me spoke English as a second language and if I wasn’t so confused, I would’ve found it amusing when one of them pointed to my then unused headphones and said ‘headphones’. I said ‘yes’ and then saw him take it and use it, realizing that he had meant to use them. Oh well, I didn’t mind.
      Most of my waking time was spent finishing the Two Towers and starting The Return of the King, but I tried much of the time to sleep. Very little I got, and only through the use of an Advil P.M. The seats were stiff.
      I landed in LAX, the Los Angeles airport, and customs did not make it easy for me. I had forgotten to eat an apple, but at the time I completed the Customs form, I didn’t think to declare it. Well I should’ve, but luckily the officer let me off, dropping the perfectly good apple into the trash bin in the process. I walked off, relieved nonetheless.
     My second flight was an hour, LA to Sacramento. The cries of the baby next to me had to compete with Ben Howard playing in my ears. Then finally I was home.
      On the first plane I had woken up at one point and got to thinking of my whole experience abroad as what I had come for, adventure, friendship, travel, even academics (UC Berkeley does that to you, wherever you go), and felt sad to think that it was now a daydream, a long-reaching, multi-faceted, complex narrative, or memory. In Sacramento airport, I felt oddly dropped from the sky into a place so familiar, refreshing, but a little strange too—I converted what I thought a 9-dollar sandwich would be into pounds, I thought of 20s instead of 60s and 70s in temperature, and I heard the wider vowel sounds of the American tongue more as one from the outside looking in. I had been detached long enough that there was a bit of adjustment.
Home
      I saw the familiar Subaru car outside the airport, hugged my mom and dad, rode on the familiar highway, and saw our house in which not a detail was out of place from how it was before I left. Except for the Mini Cooper in the garage, my mom’s new car. Once in the house, the laundry room was one of my first locations, the second being my bedroom where my cat Rex visited within a half-hour of my arrival. My brother Johnathan said hi when he came home. In an hour, my family went out to Mexican.
      In the next hour, I saw another mini cooper drive up to my house. I ran to the car as the door opened. Katya was in my arms.
      A week with her went by, romantically, refreshingly, humourously, lovely, wonderfully, and here I am typing the belated entries up on a Sunday after I came home. I cannot tell you how odd it feels to finish this blog, after all that has happened, all that I’ve seen, all that I’ve done, all that I’ve met. So ends the final chapter of my journey, save for the last few words, of a daily blog that feels like a book.
      To my flatmates who have read this so often, to my international and UEA friends, to my family back home, to Katya, and to everyone else, thank you for reading and best of luck to all of you and that your journey, whatever it may be, may be thrilling and fun and always one to remember.

The End…
But as a friend once told me, the adventure…never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment